Pakistan’s fastest growing industry is also a particular strength of our law firm. We advise our clients on the full range of TMT legal matters which arise in their sector of operation, often as part of complex or other ongoing projects, and have been increasingly involved in advising leading global TMT players on their proposed business activities in Pakistan.
Rabel Akhund is a recognised expert in telecommunications law and finance and has a wealth of experience in advising telecoms operators and equipment suppliers and manufacturers on:
- Telecoms finance
- Vendor financing arrangements
- Supplier operation and management contracts
Recent Deal Highlights
- Advising Facebook on their first ever partnership with a Pakistani telecoms operator Naya Tel (Pvt) Ltd, for the purposes of enabling Nayatel to improve and expand fibre network connectivity across Pakistan.
- Advised edotco, a group company of Malaysia’s Axiata, on its USD 1.03 billion acquisition of two telecom tower companies in Pakistan including a portfolio of 13,000 towers from Jazz/Mobilink. The Jazz/Mobilink transaction is the largest private acquisition transaction in Pakistan’ history.
- Advising The Cheez Group, a Chinese e-commerce company, on its investments in the e-commerce industry in Pakistan.
- Advising Fatima Ventures (Pvt.) Limited, a subsidiary of Fatima Group which is one of the largest conglomerates in Pakistan, on its investments in the technology sector in and outside Pakistan.
- Advised Avanza Group on its multi million dollar joint venture with Premier Systems to establish a local online payment gateway system in the growing e-commerce market of Pakistan.
- Advised a private equity backed international company in relation to its acquisition of the Telecom Tower Assets and related Business from Modaraba Al Mali.
- Advised NewNet Communications (USA) sponsored by a US private equity firm on the acquisition of the Wi-Max business of Nokia Siemens in Pakistan.
- Advised JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley as the joint global coordinators and joint lead bookrunners on the Pakistan law aspects of Telenor’s global public offering of its stake in Vimplecom (parent company of Mobilink in Pakistan) worth in excess of USD 500 million with Cleary Gottlieb acting as international counsel.
- Conducted due diligence for one of the largest privately owned US combined-media group and provided local law advice in relation to their proposed acquisition of a business in Pakistan.
- Advised the Shareholders of EatOye Pakistan (one of the largest online food delivery companies) on the sale of their company to Foodpanda (sponsored by Rocket Internet) which was their biggest competitor in the field of online food delivery in Pakistan.
- Advised the international parent company of Multinet (one of the leading internet service providers in Pakistan) on the merits of their regulatory dispute with Pakistan Telecommunication Authority.
- Advised Dot Zero, a venture capital Pakistan fund, on their investments in 3 online startup companies in the automobile and retail sector.
- Advised Arpatech, a venture capital company on its investments in Sheops, an online womens’ market place and Finox an online business and investing portal.
- Advised a leading Pakistani TV Channel and media house on its initial public offering.