Rabel has practised law for over 15 years in London, Pakistan and internationally. He has substantial experience in advising leading corporations, financial institutions, governments and public bodies in the areas of private equity, international finance, mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate finance and banking law. He has been the lead lawyer in several high-value cross border transactions in over 20 jurisdictions across the world.
During his 8 year career in leading global law firms in London, Rabel successfully worked on and completed cross border private equity buy-out transactions with a combined value in excess of £5 billion.
Rabel also has in-depth experience of joint venture arrangements and investor and sponsor related issues in national and transnational commercial joint ventures. He also has a keen understanding of regulatory issues both in Pakistan and internationally having advised the Capital Markets Development Authority of Maldives on regulatory issues and necessary reforms and having been on the Financial Services Authority's (UK) committee on Islamic Finance. Rabel continues to advise various Pakistani corporates on capital markets regulations affecting their industry and business.
Rabel read law at University College London where he obtained his LL.B. (Hons) in 1997 and LL.M. in International Business Law in 1998. He is a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales and an Advocate of the High Court of Sindh in Pakistan.
Rabel draws upon his strengths acquired from managing large teams of lawyers on many cross border European and international transactions and his insight on transnational legal issues that arise from such transactions.
Rabel regularly speaks at international conferences on corporate and finance law and has published widely on the subject.
Rabel also regularly writes Op-ed articles for Pakistan's largest and leading English newspapers on economic and social issues.
The 2015 edition of Chambers & Partners lists Rabel as a "Leader in the Field" of Capital Markets in Pakistan and he is recommended for his work in the areas of Corporate, Capital Markets and Projects by Legal 500.
Rabel is also the Relationship Partner for the firm's largest national and international clients and Rabel's recent representative transactions in Pakistan include:
- Advised an international telecommunications company on the acquisition of the WiMax assets and business of another leading international telecommunications company in Pakistan - instructed by DLA Piper (international law firm);
- Advised a leading British power rental company on various Pakistan related legal issues - instructed by Taylor Wessing (international law firm);
- Advised a foreign construction company on obtaining a long term concession for a tolled motorway in Pakistan on a BOT basis including drafting, negotiation and completion of the concession agreement with the National Highway Authority;
- Advised an offshore private equity fund on its bid for a controlling stake in a listed LPG company in Pakistan;
- Advised a foreign private equity firm in relation to its multi-million dollar equity investment in a Pakistani steel company, a pharmaceutical company and a LPG (gas) company;
- Advised a leading Cayman Island fund on Pakistan law regulatory issues - instructed by King & Wood Mallesons (international law firm);
- Advised a Pakistani investment group on the establishment of an offshore Private Equity Fund with foreign limited partners and overseas investment from development finance institutions;
- Advised one of Pakistan's largest rice exporting companies on the establishment of Grain Silos in two transactions, one in Sindh and one in Punjab, on Public Private Partnership basis including drafting and negotiating the Concession Agreement together with advice on bankability issues and structuring issues;
- Advising the Government of Sindh on the Khairpur Khajoor Mandi project along with drafting the PPP Concession Agreement and advising on structuring issues;
- Advised a private equity firm in relation to its acquisition of the business of owning and leasing communication towers from a leading financial institution in Pakistan;
- Advised a leading listed manufacturing company in Pakistan on a multi-million dollar vendor financing project;
- Advised a leading Pakistani conglomerate on one of the largest real estate transactions for 2013;
- Advised a leading conglomerate in Pakistan in relation to its 100% sale of equity in a foreign stock brokerage firm to a foreign seller;
- Advised a leading conglomerate in Pakistan on a multimillion dollar REPO transaction with a leading overseas bank;
- Advised a leading commercial bank in Pakistan on its restructuring of a 700 million rupee property finance loan to a Pakistani corporate;
- Advised a leading Islamic Bank in Pakistan on its syndicated Murabaha cum Wakala facility for a leading Pakistani manufacturing company and related security transaction, the loan value was in excess of PKR 1 billion;
- Advising and representing a major Malaysian construction company in its arbitration against the Government of Pakistan for unlawful termination of its 28 year concession agreement to build, operate and transfer a major national motorway in Pakistan. Claim size: Circa USD 300 million;
- Advising a leading conglomerate in Pakistan on the reorganization of its shareholding in two companies listed on the Karachi Stock Exchange;
- Advising a number of leading asset management companies on their day to day issues including corporate, employment, financial and regulatory matters;
To view a list of his latest publications, click here.