Energy and Natural Resources
Energy and Natural Resources
Akhund Forbes is on the panel of the Sindh Coal Authority which is responsible for tapping the precious energy resource of coal in Sindh in Pakistan.
Our expertise in energy and natural resources includes advice in relation to:
- Alternative energy
- Energy joint ventures
- Power generation
- Political risk insurance in infrastructure projects
- Projects relating to energy and natural resource
Recent Deal Highlights
Advising Sindh Solid Waste Management Board on waste to energy conversion projects.
- Advising the Privatisation Commission of Pakistan, as part of the winning consortium led by Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, on the privatisation of two RLNG based power plants in what will be the largest ever privatisation (in the power sector) through a strategic sale in Pakistan’s history expected to yield around USD 2 billion.
- Advised the Government of Sindh on the Public Private Partnership project for the Khairpur Khajoor Mandi on a BOT basis.
- Advised the Thal Limited on its investment in Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company Limited which is the first and largest coal mining company of its kind with an enterprise value of over USD 1 billion and advised Thal Limited on the project financing for the transaction as well provided by Chinese lenders.
- Advised Thal Limited on its investment in a 330 MW mine mouth coal powered IPP in the Thar district of Sindh.
- Advised China Development Bank on the 3 billion dollar project financing transaction for China State Grid’s major first of its kind electricity transmission grid project in Pakistan. This is the largest bilateral loan facility by an international bank to a non-sovereign Pakistani borrower ever and also involved Sinosure guarantee.
- Advised a Chinese company on the acquisition of a majority stake in a 50MW Wind Power project in the Sindh province of Pakistan.
- Advised Sinosure on land due diligence in connection with China Power Hub Generation Company (Pvt) Limited’s establishment of two new 660 MW coal fired billion dollar plus power plants.
- Advising Sinosure on due diligence in connection with the establishment of two new 660 MW coal fired billion dollar plus power plants in Pakistan by a Chinese investor.
- Advising Sinosure on due diligence in connection with the establishment of a billion dollar plus hydel power plant in Pakistan by a Chinese investor.
- Advising China Power Hub Generation Company (Pvt) Limited on various legal, regulatory and financial aspects in relation to the establishment and operation of the coal fired power plants post-financial close of the project.
- Advised Yangtze Three Gorges Technology & Economy Development Co., Ltd (Muzaffarabad) on various legal and regulatory aspects in relation to the construction of a dam for the generation of thermal power.
- Advised EXIM Bank of China in connection with multi hundred million dollar loans to the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission for the construction of a strategic nuclear power plant in Pakistan.
- Advised a major Chinese Corporation on the Pakistani law aspects of project financing in connection with its proposed EPC contract with a power station project company in Bangladesh.
- Advised Arif Habib Group in relation to the circa USD 100 million Sacchal Wind Energy project and related financing arrangements involving Sinosure guarantee.
- Advising Bina Puri on its USD 160 million arbitration against the National Highway Authority of the Government of Pakistan in relation to the Karachi to Hyderabad motorway project.
- Advising China Zhongyuan Engineering Corporation on its operations in connection with a project which involves two nuclear power plants in Sindh and
- Advised a leading European State-Owned Oil & Gas Company on its multi-million dollar bid for the acquisition of Premier Oil Pakistan’s oil and gas assets. The transaction involved undertaking extensive due diligence on the target’s operations and assets in Pakistan with respect to compliance with applicable laws.